How many posters on here have...
(07-16-2021, 09:55 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: My daughter has tested positive this week with lateral flow test whilst myself and Mrs Sol were away in our campervan.
Came straight back to keep an eye on her.
Posted her PCR off today but I'm pretty sure it will come back positive.
Reckon she picked it up watching the final in a bar last weekend.
We are both double-jabbed but she is staying in her room and we are being very careful.
No major symptoms so far, just a bit of a sore throat and tired.

sounds very familiar sol all the best
(07-16-2021, 01:21 PM)Ossian Wrote: First week of November 2019, one of the women who works at the same school as Mrs O returned from the half-term break with what she called 'a nasty bug'. Her daughter had come back from a visit to Wuhan with quite acute breathing difficulties, but no alarms were triggered, partly because Covid hadn't yet surfaced (although it was almost certainly out there by then) and also the daughter was susceptible to respiratory problems from time to time.

Something ripped through the school - staff and students - at an almost unprecedented rate: Mrs O had to take a couple of days off - a rarity in itself - she passed whatever it was onto me, in milder form, and then to our son who had nothing more serious than a heavy cold. I had a residual dry cough for about a week and then we thought no more about it at the time.

We've wondered a few times since though.

I’m convinced I had it over Christmas 2019… the business I worked for at the time was doing a lot of work in China and half our office was going out there off and on. Similar flu ripped through our office with pretty much everyone having a couple days off. Struck me down the day before Xmas Eve and I was pretty much stuck in bed for a couple days coughing, fever, and couldn’t smell/taste a thing. Had the similar light headed-ness and utter fatigue… then 48 hours later, I woke up absolutely fine, except for a hacking cough which took about a month and a bit to go… couple weeks after I finally shook the cough off, stories started to emerge from Wuhan, and the rest is history.

Impossible to know for sure, but I’m pretty certain I had it.
Interesting reading that some probably had covid at the end of 2019. I also suspect it was ‘here’ at that time. A colleague of mine at work had what he thought was the worst chest infection he’d ever known in November 2019. Two courses of antibiotics barely touched it. He had breathing trouble and symptoms lingered for a couple of months. My mrs then had a weird dry cough and lost her taste for about three days during December 2019. She felt ok but said it was the weirdest cough she’d known, had half hour coughing fits at times but it cleared in a few days. She didn’t think anything more of it once it cleared up.

This was all before the publicity on symptoms to know what we were looking for. Can anyone remember the date it was supposed to have ‘arrived’ in the U.K.?
(07-16-2021, 10:12 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: Interesting reading that some probably had covid at the end of 2019. I also suspect it was ‘here’ at that time. A colleague of mine at work had what he thought was the worst chest infection he’d ever known in November 2019. Two courses of antibiotics barely touched it. He had breathing trouble and symptoms lingered for a couple of months. My mrs then had a weird dry cough and lost her taste for about three days during December 2019. She felt ok but said it was the weirdest cough she’d known, had half hour coughing fits at times but it cleared in a few days. She didn’t think anything more of it once it cleared up.

This was all before the publicity on symptoms to know what we were looking for. Can anyone remember the date it was supposed to have ‘arrived’ in the U.K.?

The first reported case was end of January IIRC, with the belief the original carrier arrived mid to late Jan…

Pretty sure there was a study where they found traces of Covid in people who’d passed away pre-Christmas in France however so it’s probably likely to have been around prior to the *official* first cases.

Edit::: quick news search suggests China think it’s possible the earliest cases of Covid could have been in mid-November with evidence that the bug was spreading throughout the Wuhan region in December. Wuhan is a pretty domestically focused city by all accounts but it’s well connected to all the main airports in and out of China so it’s hard to believe it wouldn’t spread very quickly without restrictions.
I caught it end of October, just after turning 54. Had shivers Thursday night, felt rough Friday, compelling me to take my temperature, which was just under 38C (below what the advice was to get tested) but improved a lot on Saturday. Had a blocked nose for days after. It felt like a common cold. Then, a week after I had the shivers, a comment by my son about how garlicky our meal was made me realise that I had lost my sense of smell, but I put it down to my blocked nose. Two days later though, I lost my sense of taste (others argue I never had any) and I booked a test. Still convinced it was a cold, I was surprised to find the test came back positive. Both taste and smell returned the day my test result was sent to me.

2 notable things about my experience. Though I didn't isolate from the rest of the family, no-one else developed symptoms. And, apart from the day I felt rough, I had 15 minutes on my rowing machine everyday throughout this period, with no breathing problems.

I do feel I had it very easy.
Me and son had it in january. I enjoyed the 2 weeks of work no real side effects other than loss of smell. My daughter and his girlfriend isolated with us but were negative.

In the last week my daughter and her boyfriend and 6 of their friends have all tested positive after watching the euro final at the pub.

Also my partners two sons who both live with her became positive while we were away on holiday so she's had to spend the last week away from her home.
Its a nightmare it seems like more people have got it than ever and it's all over apparently on Monday ala freedom day. 
More like Back to Square 1 day!!
Went to London end of December 2019.
Visited Chinatown and at the end of the day watched a cracking sunset whilst on Tower Bridge along with hundreds of others many of whom were oriental.
A week later in early January I developped a hacking, dry cough and had breathing difficulties when it went on my chest.

The cough lasted until mid February.
I'm pretty sure it was Covid given that I'd been in close proximity to Chinese people and the symptoms
(07-18-2021, 06:40 AM)Jezstatham Wrote: Me and son had it in january. I enjoyed the 2 weeks of work no real side effects other than loss of smell. My daughter and his girlfriend isolated with us but were negative.

In the last week my daughter and her boyfriend and 6 of their friends have all tested positive after watching the euro final at the pub.

Also my partners two sons who both live with her became positive while we were away on holiday so she's had to spend the last week away from her home.
Its a nightmare it seems like more people have got it than ever and it's all over apparently on Monday ala freedom day. 

It certainly feels like that. Just been pinged this morning to self-isolate and was about to go for a round of golf with some pals today and then finish off with a boozy BBQ in the afternoon.
(07-18-2021, 07:06 AM)Fido Wrote: It certainly feels like that. Just been pinged this morning to self-isolate and was about to go for a round of golf with some pals today and then finish off with a boozy BBQ in the afternoon.

Just do what Boris and Sunak are doing and say you’re on a spurious ‘pilot scheme’ that allows you to carry on as normal. If it’s good enough for them…
(07-18-2021, 06:40 AM)Jezstatham Wrote: Me and son had it in january. I enjoyed the 2 weeks of work no real side effects other than loss of smell. My daughter and his girlfriend isolated with us but were negative.

In the last week my daughter and her boyfriend
and 6 of their friends have all tested positive after watching the euro final at the pub.

What a progressive family  Big Grin