How much are you enjoying this season?
(02-27-2019, 03:14 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 02:27 PM)clem4england Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 08:17 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 11:28 AM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 10:42 AM)brada_wba Wrote: Of the past ten seasons, I'd place it mid-table alongside Pepe Mel.

Enjoyed the Mowbray, RDM, Clarke, ROY years more.

It's definitely better than Irvine, Pulis and Pardew.

There's a constant sense of underachieving and stupid mistakes.

There are parallels but (so far) I'd say it is better than that.

If you go back to year Megson, I'd say it is uncannily similar to Mowbray 2006/07.  We are still not a sum of our parts.

Aye that’s a fair comparison.
Exactly how I see it too - some breathtaking football at times but some very basic errors and something missing. 

We are not at the level of the Mowbray team of the following season yet IMO. They played better football and as bad as they were at defending it was more from set-plays.

The Pepe Mel time was enjoyable as you had absolutely no idea what was going to happen from minute to minute, let alone game to game, but I’d say this season is more pleasing overall. I thought we were a better team under both Mowbray and RDM compared to this season, we played better football too. I genuinely don’t think we’ve played great football since the change from a back 3... we’ve been more effective away, but overall we look a worse side.

In terms of enjoyment:

Clarke full season 
Mowbray promotion 
RDM promotion 
RDM/Roy season 
Roy full season (we finally looked like competing)
This season / Mowbray playoff season 
Pulis 9th place season 
Clarke/Pepe Mel 
AFI/Pulis 
Pulis 2nd season 
Mowbray relegation 

Literally anything, ever

Pulis and Pardew relegation

Decent assessment that.

For me personally though, the first season back in the Prem under RDM/Hodgson was the best.

Other than a few shaky months when RDM got sacked and Hodgson came in, that was finally the year we'd stopped Yo-Yo'ing. We also got some massive wins like Liverpool at home, Arsenal away and finally beat the Villa. We finished 11th and finally looked like a 'proper PL team' unlike just the 'once a season wonders' we'd previously looked like in our few visits to the Prem.

Not to mention the arrival of Odemwingie...
(02-26-2019, 11:28 AM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 10:42 AM)brada_wba Wrote: Of the past ten seasons, I'd place it mid-table alongside Pepe Mel.

Enjoyed the Mowbray, RDM, Clarke, ROY years more.

It's definitely better than Irvine, Pulis and Pardew.

There's a constant sense of underachieving and stupid mistakes.

There are parallels but (so far) I'd say it is better than that.

If you go back to year Megson, I'd say it is uncannily similar to Mowbray 2006/07.  We are still not a sum of our parts.

Exactly how I see it too - some breathtaking football at times but some very basic errors and something missing. 

We are not at the level of the Mowbray team of the following season yet IMO. They played better football and as bad as they were at defending it was more from set-plays.

The Pepe Mel time was enjoyable as you had absolutely no idea what was going to happen from minute to minute, let alone game to game, but I’d say this season is more pleasing overall. I thought we were a better team under both Mowbray and RDM compared to this season, we played better football too. I genuinely don’t think we’ve played great football since the change from a back 3... we’ve been more effective away, but overall we look a worse side.

In terms of enjoyment:

Clarke full season 
Mowbray promotion 
RDM promotion 
RDM/Roy season 
Pulis 9th place season 
Clarke/Pepe Mel 
AFI/Pulis 
Pulis 2nd season 
Mowbray relegation

Literally anything, ever

Not far off those lad - going back to the summer of 05 and given the relative level of opposition:

Clarke full season 
RDM/Roy season 
Roy full season (some unbelievable aways)
Mowbray promotion 
RDM promotion 
This season / Mowbray playoff season - so far
Pulis 9th place season 
AFI/Pulis 
Pulis 2nd season 
Clarke/Pepe Mel 
Robbohhh's great surrender - hic
Mowbray relegation
Last season

(02-27-2019, 03:21 PM)Dumbo Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 11:28 AM)MancBaggie Wrote: There are parallels but (so far) I'd say it is better than that.

In terms of enjoyment:

Clarke full season 
Mowbray promotion 
RDM promotion 
RDM/Roy season 
Pulis 9th place season 
Clarke/Pepe Mel 
AFI/Pulis 
Pulis 2nd season 
Mowbray relegation 

Literally anything, ever

Decent assessment that.

For me personally though, the first season back in the Prem under RDM/Hodgson was the best.

Other than a few shaky months when RDM got sacked and Hodgson came in, that was finally the year we'd stopped Yo-Yo'ing. We also got some massive wins like Liverpool at home, Arsenal away and finally beat the Villa. We finished 11th and finally looked like a 'proper PL team' unlike just the 'once a season wonders' we'd previously looked like in our few visits to the Prem.

Good post - played some great stuff that autumn/ spring
(02-27-2019, 03:24 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 11:28 AM)MancBaggie Wrote: There are parallels but (so far) I'd say it is better than that.

In terms of enjoyment:

Clarke full season 
Mowbray promotion 
RDM promotion 
RDM/Roy season 
Pulis 9th place season 
Clarke/Pepe Mel 
AFI/Pulis 
Pulis 2nd season 
Mowbray relegation

Literally anything, ever

Not far off those lad - going back to the summer of 05 and given the relative level of opposition:

Clarke full season 
RDM/Roy season 
Mowbray promotion 
RDM promotion 
Pulis 9th place season 
AFI/Pulis 
Pulis 2nd season 
Clarke/Pepe Mel 
Mowbray relegation
Last season

(02-27-2019, 08:17 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Aye that’s a fair comparison.

In terms of enjoyment:

Clarke full season 
Mowbray promotion 
RDM promotion 
RDM/Roy season 
Pulis 9th place season 
Clarke/Pepe Mel 
AFI/Pulis 
Pulis 2nd season 
Mowbray relegation 

Literally anything, ever

Decent assessment that.

There’s not a lot between those 3-4 years really... Roy’s full season had some brilliant wins, but some of the home games were dire viewing, and I remember him taking a fair bit of flack after the Everton defeat on NYD.

I rate the Mowbray full season highly because I’d started going as an ST holder the year before Megson arrived, and having not really been old enough to appreciate the lows of the 90s, that Robson surrender was my first real shit season, and so Mowbray brought back the fun of football.

I can totally understand why for people who had lived through the darkest days (I was. Junior baggie, so the novelty of football outweighed the gloom) and had seen us when we were actually good, those 2-3 years under RDM/Roy and Clarke would feel so good.
(02-27-2019, 06:18 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 03:24 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 08:17 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Aye that’s a fair comparison.

In terms of enjoyment:

Clarke full season 
Mowbray promotion 
RDM promotion 
RDM/Roy season 
Pulis 9th place season 
Clarke/Pepe Mel 
AFI/Pulis 
Pulis 2nd season 
Mowbray relegation

Literally anything, ever

Clarke full season 
RDM/Roy season 
Mowbray promotion 
RDM promotion 
Pulis 9th place season 
AFI/Pulis 
Pulis 2nd season 
Clarke/Pepe Mel 
Mowbray relegation
Last season

(02-27-2019, 02:27 PM)clem4england Wrote: Exactly how I see it too - some breathtaking football at times but some very basic errors and something missing. 

In terms of enjoyment:

Clarke full season 
Mowbray promotion 
RDM promotion 
RDM/Roy season 
Pulis 9th place season 
Clarke/Pepe Mel 
AFI/Pulis 
Pulis 2nd season 
Mowbray relegation 

Literally anything, ever

Decent assessment that.

There’s not a lot between those 3-4 years really... Roy’s full season had some brilliant wins, but some of the home games were dire viewing, and I remember him taking a fair bit of flack after the Everton defeat on NYD.

I rate the Mowbray full season highly because I’d started going as an ST holder the year before Megson arrived, and having not really been old enough to appreciate the lows of the 90s, that Robson surrender was my first real shit season, and so Mowbray brought back the fun of football.

I can totally understand why for people who had lived through the darkest days (I was. Junior baggie, so the novelty of football outweighed the gloom) and had seen us when we were actually good, those 2-3 years under RDM/Roy and Clarke would feel so good.

They were the best you or I have known and I’m in my early 40s. You make a good point different generations see our club differently due to their formative years supporting us. Growing up at school in the 90s was grim, where our PE department couldnt even give our tickets away and that was a Sandwell school! Success at Prem level was a dream that had finally come true, so finishing comfortably in the Prem was imo great. 

Older supporters dare I say it seem to struggle with the concept that mid to upper Prem finishes are a mark of success for our club given its size and are hung up on playing the ‘right way / Albion way’. Despite most of our Prem success coming thanks to pragmatic approaches. 

I’m enjoying the season but as a 90s kid I am paranoid that it will mean nothing if we don’t achieve promotion.
(02-27-2019, 07:52 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: They were the best you or I have known and I’m in my early 40s. You make a good point different generations see our club differently due to their formative years supporting us. Growing up at school in the 90s was grim, where our PE department couldnt even give our tickets away and that was a Sandwell school! Success at Prem level was a dream that had finally come true, so finishing comfortably in the Prem was imo great. 

Older supporters dare I say it seem to struggle with the concept that mid to upper Prem finishes are a mark of success for our club given its size and are hung up on playing the ‘right way / Albion way’. Despite most of our Prem success coming thanks to pragmatic approaches. 

I’m enjoying the season but as a 90s kid I am paranoid that it will mean nothing if we don’t achieve promotion.

I wouldn't worry, it's barely noticeable Wink

But I understand your concern... I just think the club's infrastructure and appeal to prospective buyers is massively ahead of where it was back then, even if we do spend a few years here.

Ultimately there are 30 clubs which will fill the positions from 7th in the PL to 7th in League One for the foreseeable future, topped up with a few smaller clubs peaking in the Championship. Until football substantially changes, this will always be the case. Law of averages says even if we do fail to get up in the next couple of seasons we will eventually!
(02-27-2019, 08:32 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 07:52 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: They were the best you or I have known and I’m in my early 40s. You make a good point different generations see our club differently due to their formative years supporting us. Growing up at school in the 90s was grim, where our PE department couldnt even give our tickets away and that was a Sandwell school! Success at Prem level was a dream that had finally come true, so finishing comfortably in the Prem was imo great. 

But I understand your concern... I just think the club's infrastructure and appeal to prospective buyers is massively ahead of where it was back then, even if we do spend a few years here.

Ultimately there are 30 clubs which will fill the positions from 7th in the PL to 7th in League One for the foreseeable future, topped up with a few smaller clubs peaking in the Championship. Until football substantially changes, this will always be the case. Law of averages says even if we do fail to get up in the next couple of seasons we will eventually!
It's the pain that makes the joy greater. If we get up this year it will pale into insignificance compared to the euphoria of 2002, the great escape and finally establishing ourselves as a top flight team.
Expectations are different now, as we've been a top flight established team so recently, but it dullens the senses compared to those tumultous years in different eras.
(02-27-2019, 08:32 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

...unfortunately it is the same Law of Averages that tells me, every year, that we are going to win the FA Cup Smile