Co-op Live Arena
(04-27-2024, 05:21 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I hate watching gigs in arenas, consequently I've only ever been to 3. What's the appeal of watching someone in an even bigger one?

Same with large festivals.  Why go to see a little dot on stage and end up watching the screens?
I told you I’ll be back
A lot of these gigs the fan is paying for the privilege of saying 'I've seen them live' rather than the actual experience.
Have seen gigs at all the big arenas in the UK. Glasgow Hydro is the best in my opinion. The arena experience generally feels a bit hollow these days.

I do miss JB's.
Don’t mind arena gigs myself. Gives acts an opportunity to put in massive, theatrical shows. The sort of things you can’t do in a smaller venue.

Seen Muse, QOTSA, Madonna and Depeche Mode at the O2 in recent months. All were great.
I'm with Chasetown on this, I can't abide arenas and made a vow after the last time, I won't bother again. You cannot beat a small, intimate gig although Brum Town Hall, Symphont Hall, Wolvo Civic etc. are all great mid size venues. The sound is so much better than those huge soulless places where loads turn up just to say they've seen x,y or z performer.
(04-27-2024, 10:24 AM)Duffers Wrote: Don’t mind arena gigs myself. Gives acts an opportunity to put in massive, theatrical shows. The sort of things you can’t do in a smaller venue.

Seen Muse, QOTSA, Madonna and Depeche Mode at the O2 in recent months. All were great.

This is similar to my view. I don't think any regular gig goers necessarily like arena shows but it does give acts more of a chance to have a big show. Any ultimately such venues are a necessary evil if you want to see a very popular artist.

(04-27-2024, 09:34 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: Have seen gigs at all the big arenas in the UK. Glasgow Hydro is the best in my opinion. The arena experience generally feels a bit hollow these days.

Leeds First Direct Arena is similar. It's a relatively small standing area for an arena so even at the back of it you're pretty close to the stage with a great view.
Modern arenas are like the identikit stadiums that sprung up from 2000 onwards... That said, if you like a decently sized band then you're not going to get to see them in an intimate setting, unless you're really lucky. Maiden at the NIA last year were absolutely phenomenal, and I'd said I would go there again as the last time I saw them there the sound was nasty.

Festivals are more about all of everything than just seeing someone from a distance, and you only really are at a massive distance if you don't know what you're doing. that said, you really don't want to be at the front of a Rammstein set, unless you don't mind having no eyebrows the next day!
Being close enough to “see” is much less important than being able to hear anyway.

Vast majority of gigs most people on here go to CL pride of four or five blokes stood around with guitars and a drummer. There really isn’t that much to see. Being able to clearly hear what they’re playing is far more important.

At Glastonbury last year we were at the very back of the absolutely colossal crowd Elton John drew. If you looked down on to the stage you could make out a little man sat behind a piano in the distance, but you could still hear everything perfectly and see him on the various screens around the place.

Being so far back didn’t make it any less special.
(04-27-2024, 01:30 PM)Duffers Wrote: Being close enough to “see” is much less important than being able to hear anyway.

Vast majority of gigs most people on here go to CL pride of four or five blokes stood around with guitars and a drummer. There really isn’t that much to see. Being able to clearly hear what they’re playing is far more important.

At Glastonbury last year we were at the very back of the absolutely colossal crowd Elton John drew. If you looked down on to the stage you could make out a little man sat behind a piano in the distance, but you could still hear everything perfectly and see him on the various screens around the place.

I think the sound is usually better in smaller venues too. 

I make an exception for outdoor festivals but that's more to do with the vibes than the sounds. I'll listen to anything there
(04-27-2024, 04:11 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 01:30 PM)Duffers Wrote: Being close enough to “see” is much less important than being able to hear anyway.

I think the sound is usually better in smaller venues too. 

I make an exception for outdoor festivals but that's more to do with the vibes than the sounds. I'll listen to anything there

At festivals especially the overall vibe is far more important than technical proficiency.

Some of the best times I’ve had at festivals are when the band and crowd have come together perfectly. Great example being the Stones at Glastonbury 2013. The performance itself was good but the atmosphere and sense of occasion is what made it truly great. Same as Elton last year.