BoJo
(08-05-2019, 08:37 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote: Democracy will die. It would be very undemocratic to have another referendum and basically say to 17 million people your first ment nothing so we'll try again.

I really don't understand the mentality of this type of statement. I can't imagine a more undemocratic position than having a new prime minister that nobody voted for push through a no deal brexit, or a brexit deal that's worse than we have now, just because 3 years ago - when nobody knew what kind of deal to leave we would get - people voted narrowly to leave and take us down the road to understanding what that meant.

I wonder what the vote would have been if it had been a choice of Leave - Now with No Deal, Leave maybe - let's see what the deal could be and decide or Remain.

The whole undemocratic argument is basically spouted by Brexiteers who really don't have the courage to go to the country again because deep down they really know it may get overturned because now we have the actual information about what leaving really means all the emotional Farage, anti-immigration hype will get swept away by the reality of losing our car manufacturing, our finance leadership and many other economic issues that will potentially take decades to recover. 

Thanks to the ageing Tory silver haired - near to death brigade we are all going to follow them over the cliff

(08-06-2019, 08:59 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 08:37 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote: Democracy will die. It would be very undemocratic to have another referendum and basically say to 17 million people your first ment nothing so we'll try again.

I really don't understand the mentality of this type of statement. I can't imagine a more undemocratic position than having a new prime minister that nobody voted for push through a no deal brexit, or a brexit deal that's worse than we have now, just because 3 years ago - when nobody knew what kind of deal to leave we would get - people voted narrowly to leave and take us down the road to understanding what that meant.

I wonder what the vote would have been if it had been a choice of Leave - Now with No Deal, Leave maybe - let's see what the deal could be and decide or Remain.

The whole undemocratic argument is basically spouted by Brexiteers who really don't have the courage to go to the country again because deep down they really know it may get overturned because now we have the actual information about what leaving really means all the emotional Farage, anti-immigration hype will get swept away by the reality of losing our car manufacturing, our finance leadership and many other economic issues that will potentially take decades to recover. 

Thanks to the ageing Tory silver haired - near to death brigade we are all going to follow them over the cliff

The other thing about the nonsense of the undemocratic argument is that there could be 100s of thousands of remainers who now wish they had voted leave and would like the chance to do so now they've heard the facts thus strengthening consensus in the country.

The other thing about the nonsense of the undemocratic argument is that there could be 100s of thousands of remainers who now wish they had voted leave and would like the chance to do so now they've heard the facts thus strengthening consensus in the country.

I would suggest embracing ignorance deliberately or unconsciously to dismiss facts. The whole Brexit argument is a triumph of emotion over rationality.
Some times your vote matters and other times it doesn't...

That's not democracy
(08-06-2019, 10:15 AM)Sunshine Wrote: Some times your vote matters and other times it doesn't...

That's not democracy

Absolutely...

To actually believe there's been any significant democracy in terms of voting in this country over the last 300 years is a myth. The system is rigged anyway as most votes cast don't actually matter.

So to hear Brexiteers shouting about a lack of democracy if we vote again is plan infantile - voting on the actual deal would actually be the first time in an eon where there has been a regard for democracy.

The other thing about democracy it assumes there's a functioning opposition to any installed controlling power. Whilst the Tories are 100% to blame for this clusterfuck the complete lack of opposition by Labour and their shillyshallying set of weak willed, weak chinned, policyless, convictionless politics has ultimately meant they've been allowed to get away with it and laughably are more likely to win another election. You couldn't make it up.
(08-06-2019, 10:15 AM)Sunshine Wrote: Some times your vote matters and other times it doesn't...

That's not democracy

You must be so proud of Corbyn facilitating a right wing government, no deal Brexit and potentially another Tory government. That’s what your mighty leader has led too. Ooh Jeremy has been actually never has been.
"Democracy will die" if after more information is presented we have a vote to decide whether we go for no deal or stay? That's a load of bollocks. The situation isn't the same as over two years ago. Now that both remainers and brexiteers are aware that the choice is basically No Deal vs Staying, if the majority want no deal then we go for that, if the majority would prefer staying in the EU then we go for that.

The resistance to another vote from what is usually Brexiteers is baffling. It's like saying that what the majority wanted two years ago is worth more than what the majority wants now. What's to say that in a new referendum the majority wouldn't vote for no deal anyway?
(08-06-2019, 10:51 AM)Sliced Wrote: "Democracy will die" if after more information is presented we have a vote to decide whether we go for no deal or stay? That's a load of bollocks. The situation isn't the same as over two years ago. Now that both remainers and brexiteers are aware that the choice is basically No Deal vs Staying, if the majority want no deal then we go for that, if the majority would prefer staying in the EU then we go for that.

The resistance to another vote from what is usually Brexiteers is baffling. It's like saying that what the majority wanted two years ago is worth more than what the majority wants now. What's to say that in a new referendum the majority wouldn't vote for no deal anyway?

It's because they're running scared and also because if they have to vote again they will have to vote openly for a really really shitty deal just so they can oust johnny foreigner from these shores. When they were voting to leave without a clue what that meant they could hide their views - another vote on actual facts for a deal that's worse than we have now would out them all.
(08-06-2019, 10:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

That's not democracy

You must be so proud of Corbyn facilitating a right wing government, no deal Brexit and potentially another Tory government. That’s what your mighty leader has led too. Ooh Jeremy has been actually never has been.

How's your mighty leader Chukka doing?
(08-06-2019, 09:59 PM)Sunshine Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 10:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

That's not democracy

How's your mighty leader Chukka doing?

I don’t subscribe and never to any political party. As I said are you happy that the current Labour Party seems intent on facilitating a no deal Brexit for its own ends?
Go on Boris!  Huh

[Image: EBUMVJ2XkAE9ISZ.jpg]

Go on Boris!  Huh

[Image: EBUMVJ2XkAE9ISZ.jpg]