Roy
(08-24-2019, 07:24 PM)tiptontown Wrote: Don't think you can underestimate what Clougie did, but he did go on too long in the end. Especially with drink appearing to get the better of him.

Clough was a little before my time which doesn’t help, my only memories of him were the later years.
When we beat Forest in the 6th round of the cup in 1978 they were fantastic team. But we were good as well
(08-24-2019, 08:01 PM)Thurso Pickle Rick Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 07:55 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: When we beat Forest in the 6th round of the cup in 1978 they were fantastic team. But we were good as well

There was a league game at the Hawthorns too I think if i remember right that was dubbed the battle of the wingers between Robertson for Forest and Willie Johnston for us by Grandstand/Match of the Day (when it was only showing the one or two chosen matches). We won and Willie outplayed Robertson with ease. Still my favourite player - unplayable on his day.

He was. Such an embarrassment of riches in that team 

I was in the Rainbow paddock for the cup game, the Regis goal was something special against one of the finest keepers I  the world at that time.
Remember Fergie broke the old firm monopoly with Aberdeen and a European trophy with them as well.
All this talk of Fergie and Clough and not a mention of Mogga
(08-24-2019, 07:24 PM)tiptontown Wrote: Don't think you can underestimate what Clougie did, but he did go on too long in the end. Especially with drink appearing to get the better of him.

Probably only a season too long. They lost an FAC final in 91 and LC final in 92. 

His big mistake was selling sheringham and replacing him with Robert Rosario
For me it's Clough over Fergie. Mainly because Fergie did a lot of it with a lot of money (his 10 most expensive players alone cost around £250m, I couldn't be bothered to count the rest!) . Yes he did it with far less than his compatriots today, but Clough just seemed to do more with the players he had. Fergie for me was when the rot really set in and the game became money money money, even before Sheiks and Oligarchs.

Plus, Clough smacked that pitch invader and that was mint.
Last opposing PL manager to...

Win at Anfield
Win at The Etihad
Win at The Emirates
Win at Old Trafford

Roy.
(08-24-2019, 10:55 PM)MassDebater Wrote: For me it's Clough over Fergie. Mainly because Fergie did a lot of it with a lot of money (his 10 most expensive players alone cost around £250m, I couldn't be bothered to count the rest!) . Yes he did it with far less than his compatriots today, but Clough just seemed to do more with the players he had. Fergie for me was when the rot really set in and the game became money money money, even before Sheiks and Oligarchs.

Plus, Clough smacked that pitch invader and that was mint.

Clough was an absolute genuis, but all his work came during a 20 year period of very little change. Football was still a lads culture where anyone who could combine a bit of tactical nous with the ability to fire the lads up was seen as a great. 

His achievements in the game will never be matched, as what he did at both Derby and Forest - whilst far more possible for teams like that then than now - weren't really common occurrences.

Fergie however presided over 20 years of success despite football changing massively. The explosion of TV, the Global Game, multi-millionaire players, billionaire backers, Fergie navigated it all and continued to churn out successful teams. For me Cloughie wouldn't have lasted in the new world of football.

Of course Fergie's massive financial resources gave him a constant advantage, but he played a massive part in United becoming that commercial behemoth.
thought this was about Jason Roy, the worst Opener ever to play Test cricket for England!